12.10.2012

Cookie Day!

When I was a little girl, my Memom would have one (very) brave day when she would have her grandchildren over and we would all bake cookies for Christmas.  There were 7 children and one very small Memom.  It was a joyous, messy time.  We would sing songs and dance around and we all wore aprons, even the boys.  (She usually had help from at least one of her daughters.  We were still a handful.)  It's one of my favorite childhood memories.
Our family is in a limbo stage now: we are all adults, my Memom is gone, and there are no small children (yet...give it a few months!).  But limbo gives us the opportunity to create our own traditions.


My dear friend Jacqi and I had Cookie Day this weekend.  Just the two of us, while her husband was coaching basketball, making tons of cookies and watching Christmas movies, breaking for brie, fruit, and some sausage for lunch.  We used her ancient pizzelle press, with a family recipe for cinnamon pizzelles, (which are TO DIE FOR), and some fancy modern day devices as well (food processors are incredible tools).  Eventually Stephen came home, poured himself a glass of milk, and ate, and ate, and ate.  And I'm sure ate some more later that night (as did their family, my family, my office, etc.).   Everyone approved.

It was such a great day.  Making food is slowly becoming one of my favorite things (although I don't like making more than eating it), and having this time to share with Jacqi makes me so happy.  Someday, we will have babies running around, and might not have the time to just enjoy some warm, cinnamony cider and each other's company.  I treasure these moments with my friends so much.  Our time is precious, why not spend it baking?












No comments:

Post a Comment