11.29.2012

I Made A Pie!

Our family did Thanksgiving last week, like most American families.  And since we're mostly grown-ups now, we all contribute.  My sisters both made food: Erin made lemon glazed sweet potatoes (the dish I made for Friendsgiving), and Claire made a pumpkin cheesecake.  I made an apple pie.
I actually made 2 pies.  My mom insisted I make a "practice pie" the week before, and bring it over so that I could be given corrections.  So I made a pie on Sunday, and then another on Wednesday night.  And you know what?  It was totally worth it.  Because Final Draft Pie was way better.  So much better that 3 days later, as I was leaving, my dad stopped me to tell me how good my pie was.

The recipe was really simple.  I bought pie crust dough (and apples) from Harvest Local, rolled it out very thin, and saved the scraps to make the little lattice on top.  The filling was:

3 lbs Granny Smith apples
2/3 cup sugar (plus a little more, just a little, for taste)
1/3 cup flour
2 tbs. cinnamon

Toss the peeled, cored, and sliced apples with the sugar, flour, and cinnamon.  Fill your crust (it will be very full!), lattice the top, bake at 350 for 1 hour.  (It baked for probably half an hour more at 325 on Thanksgiving, to warm it up/finish baking through.  The top apples were very crisp, which was delicious, but not necessary.  Less time warming would have been fine.)

I'm going to do it again, maybe for Christmas, and I think I'll try and make my own dough, too.  Maybe.




Daisy liked the turkey.  I like Daisy.


No comments:

Post a Comment