6.07.2013

I Heart Blogshop

In May, I attended a Blogshop class, taught by Bri Emery from Designlovefest and Angela Kohler of Angela and Ithyle.

I've had Photoshop/CS5 for about 2 years, and learned more in the 2 days of this class than I did teaching myself and using at-home tutorials the whole time I owned the program.  I took a class in high school that taught Photoshop, but let's be honest, I'm old, and that was a long time ago.  The program and the world have changed dramatically since then.  (And, really, so have I, but that's beside the point.)  What I'm trying to say is: it was really, very worth it.  Also, we got some awesome swag.

It was really quite an experience to be in this class, taught by people who are so obviously talented and successful.  All the classes I've attended in the years since college have been taught by corporate dummies spouting ridiculous, meaningless phrases like, "legendary customer service."  (Tell me, in which legend did this bank and its customer service originate?)  The girls, teachers and classmates, were enthusiastic, and it was so interesting and inspiring to be in a room with women who were all interested in learning the same thing.  Bri and Angela were incredibly informative and encouraging.


The second day of class was hard for me, because I am really uncomfortable with photos of myself.  I know this sounds silly, but I rarely appear, in a photo, the way I think I will.  I'm always disappointed with the way I look.  Angela took incredible photos of all of us on the first day, so that we could work with them the second day.  I was really embarrassed looking at a photo of myself, and even more embarrassed because I didn't want to look at it.  And then I was embarrassed for being embarrassed, and worried that I had offended the person who took the photo in the first place, because my issues are all in my head, and had nothing to do with her.  And Angela was gracious and lovely, and I was acting like a crazy person.  In the end, I am posting the photos here, as a lesson to myself.  I need to learn to be more comfortable with who I am and what I look like.  And I also need to learn to get past my insecurities.  This is the only way I will grow and become more like the person I want to be.

In the end, it was a success, and I only hope that Bri and Angela loved our city, though I can tell Bri was far more inspired by her visit to New York a few days later.  PLEASE come back again girls, I know you'll love it when there's sunshine and more time to explore.  We have great food, and we'd really like to learn video!

Wow, I bet you didn't expect this to be such a personal post, were you?  All ten of you reading this came to see the photos.  Don't worry, there are more flowers.  Here they are :)












The flowers were provided and styled by sullivan owen, the venue was a photo studio on Hancock St. in Kensington-ish.  You can see all the swag and some more photos here!


No comments:

Post a Comment