10.15.2012

Overnight Tomatoes

This recipe is taken from Kinfolk Magazine, volume 1.  It took me a long time to get around to making it, and I regret the time I spent in my life not having eaten Overnight Tomatoes.  I love making something, and then eating it, and thinking, "Wow, I'm a genius."  Even though afterward I need to remind myself that all I did was follow instructions, and there is therefore no genius involved.  But you should know that this recipe is so delicious, you too will momentarily convince yourself that you should have a cooking show.
I further prove my genius by having altered this.  I altered it in that I did not use thyme.  Because I didn't have any.  Becky, my friend who truly is a kitchen prodigy, merely heard this recipe, didn't even read it, and went home and cooked it, and then legitimately altered it by mixing some balsamic with the olive oil in the pan before cooking the tomatoes, which she says was an excellent addition, and carmelized in just the right way.  This will obviously be the recipe I try next time, and afterwards I will again refer to myself as a master chef in my head.


Ingredients:
200 grams (about 7 oz) mixed small tomatoes 
cherry, grape, pear
4-5 small unpeeled garlic cloves
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
4 sprigs fresh thyme

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 425 deg F.  Slice tomatoes in half, place in ovenproof dish (or on baking sheet).  Add garlic cloves, then toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Arrange tomatoes face up in the pan.  Pick leaves off half the thyme and sprinkle over the tomatoes, break the remaining sprigs into shorter lengths and add to the pan.
Place in preheated oven, cook for 10 minutes, then turn the oven off.  Leave the tomatoes in the oven to slowly roast, until they reach the desired texture.  (8 hours is recommended.) 

*Resist the temptation to open the oven and smell your tomatoes.  This is really hard to do.*
Bring to room temperature before serving or using in other recipes.
Kinfolk reminds you that depending on the size and variety of tomatoes, cooking times and temperature adjustments may be necessary.  Play with it, make it yours.

 I used my tomatoes to make a really yummy sandwich (like Cosi's TBM.  I'm not really an original thinker in the kitchen). Even the garlic cloves go right in the sandwich, they are so good.  Kinfolk has a recipe for their own sandwich you can put them in.  Becky mixed hers with some provolone and spinach.  You can obviously use these in all kinds of meals.  Possibly all your meals, from now on.



All of these ingredients were acquired from Harvest Local Foods, my favorite source, except the basil, which is from the Pathmark.  Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment