5.15.2013

Running and Bases

Just over a week ago was the annual Broad Street Run, a 10 mile run through Philadelphia with over 40,000 participants and at least that many spectators.  I went with my friends Lydia and Dan to cheer on his aunt (and hang out with her 3 beautiful children, Patrick, Tristan, and Anna), tailgate with the families, and then watch the Phillies lose a terrible game.
It was a beautiful day, and I had a great time, despite the fact that I got probably the worst sunburn of my life.  (I actually went to the doctor for sunburn.  My eyes were swollen.  I was so thankful to finally look like myself by the end of last week!)
I am in awe of the runners.  They work so hard, accomplish so much.  And this year was a little more than just personal achievement for a lot of people - it was a way to show solidarity, American pride, to show support for those runners and spectators in Boston who were terrorized just a month ago.  There was a clear police presence, in fact we were standing right next to a bike cop.  There were quite a few runners who paused to thank him, which was a really nice thing to witness over and over.
The most obvious sign of this American solidarity, the support for Boston, however, were the red socks.  So many hundreds of red socks (or, Red Sox, I suppose) flew past, it was a very obvious, visual way to show a lack of fear and a strength beyond muscle.


























No comments:

Post a Comment